Re: [Ann] WebVOWL 0.3 - Visualize your ontology on the web

Kingsley, Alfredo, Timothy, Melvin,

thank you for your comments and ideas.

On 19.12.2014 17:57, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> do you have a permalink feature that makes any visualization doc
> shareable via HTTP URLs ?

Yes, we have (as already indicated by Melvin). For instance, you can use
http://vowl.visualdataweb.org/webvowl/#iri=http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/ to
visualize the FOAF vocabulary - see
http://vowl.visualdataweb.org/webvowl.html

On 21.12.2014 04:11, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> I would normally expect a ? in the query string however, rather than,
> # which I presume is the 1337 way to hide the ontology from the server.

Good point. We discuss it and maybe change to the query identifier (?)
instead of the fragment identifier (#) in the next version of WebVOWL.

On 19.12.2014 17:57, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> what about connecting your "custom ontology" feature to prefix.cc [1]
> and LOV [2] ?

That could indeed be nice and is already possible due to the
customizable HTTP requests (see above).

On 19.12.2014 17:57, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> Would you be able to make HTTP URIs that identify terms defined by a
> selected ontology live? For instance, if I am exploring FOAF, and I
> click on the foaf:Agent node, I should have an HTTP URI anchoring the
> text "Agent [FOAF]" which then makes that node a live LOD Cloud
> conduit. I notice you provide this capability via "selection details",
> but I don't think most will realize its existence.

Adding selected classes to the URL is a nice idea that we will discuss
together with the above issue about the fragment identifier. If I got
you right, you would like to have something like
http://vowl.visualdataweb.org/webvowl/index.html?iri=http://purl.org/muto/core#Tagging
which would then visualize the MUTO ontology and automatically select
(and highlight) the "Tagging" class.
Is that correct?

On 20.12.2014 14:54, Alfredo Serafini wrote:
> any plans for integrating individuals visualization?
The number of instances is visually indicated by the radius of the
circle representing the class (if there are any instances for a class).
The number is also given in the "Selection Details", and the total
number in the "Statistics". Apart from that, we have not integrated any
ABox information into WebVOWL so far. Although VOWL 2 focuses on the
visualization of the TBox of ontologies, we may incorporate at least
some additional ABox information in the future.

On 20.12.2014 23:43, Timothy W. Cook wrote:
> It would be great to see meta data such as dc:description when you
> hover over the images.

Timothy, I am not sure what you mean here. Currently, the complete label
of the hovered element is shown in a tooltip, while additional
information is provided in the "Selection Details" in the sidebar. As
WebVOWL focuses on OWL, Dublin Core is currently only interpreted when
being used as metadata for the entire ontology (i.e., for the title,
author, and description info in the sidebar). Could you clarify?

Cheers,
Steffen

--
Dr. Steffen Lohmann . Visualization and Interactive Systems (VIS)
University of Stuttgart . Universitaetstrasse 38 . D-70569 Stuttgart