Re: The ability to automatically upgrade a reference to HTTPS from HTTP

From: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2014 12:47:53 -0400
To: Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org>
CC: semantic-web <semantic-web@w3.org>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Public TAG List <www-tag@w3.org>

On 8/22/2014 11:02 PM, Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:
> If search engines answered the question "are the contents of http:foo and
> https:foo different", we could evaluate the impact of having one fill the
> cache for the other.

Yes. At the endpoints where content is in the clear the aliasing can in
principle be handled. I was more concerned with intermediary proxy caches
that (typically) should not have keys to access content in the clear. I
know for a fact that some large corporations were still running such
proxies at their network borders as of a few years ago. Unless I'm missing
something, those caches become worse than useless for https content. That
is, they add overhead because connections sometimes go through them, but
they add no value as caches because they don't (and shouldn't) see content
in the clear.

Noah