Re: rdf and category theory

On 24 Apr 2014, at 10:10, Hugh Glaser <hugh@glasers.org> wrote:

> So Henry mentions Category Theory.
> And two weeks later I find myself having a dream where I am in an audience of SemWeb people, and the lecturer asks me to come out and explain Strictness Analysis extempore.
> At least the lecturer chose something I understand somewhat, rather than the Category Theory!
> You will be pleased to hear that it goes OK, even though I can’t get the whiteboard marker to work properly.
> Our pasts do catch up with us :-)

Now know I will have succeeded when I can dream about Category Theory and remember my dreams too :-)

Right now, following Leo Obrst's hint, I am reading Benjamin Braatz's thesis, published in December 2009, where he very carefully and with
clearly written out proofs, defines the RDF Category:

"Formal Modelling and Application of Graph Transformations in the Resource Description Framework"
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/40635984_Formal_Modelling_and_Application_of_Graph_Transformations_in_the_Resource_Description_Framework

He then will proceed to looking at graph modification techniques, which seems like a pretty interesting topic too.

I keep needing to go back to some definitions and exercises in Willam Lawvere "Conceptual Mathemtics". But now that I can see how these concepts can be applied to RDF I have an additional set of intutions that I can tap into, making the learning of this all the easier.

I find it very easy to dream in RDF. If I can get this mapping to CT integrated I should be able to dream in CT too.

Henry

> On 9 Apr 2014, at 11:49, henry.story@bblfish.net wrote:
>
>> I am reading up on category theory, which is very important in functional
>> programming languages. Does anyone have some insight on what the relations
>> between the two are? Do people use category theory to prove things in rdf
>> or vice versa?
>>
>> Henry
>>
>> Social Web Architect
>> http://bblfish.net/
>>

> --
> Hugh Glaser
>   20 Portchester Rise
>   Eastleigh
>   SO50 4QS
> Mobile: +44 75 9533 4155, Home: +44 23 8061 5652

Social Web Architect
http://bblfish.net/