Re: rdf and category theory

On 2014-04-10, Andrew Newman wrote:

> One of the best talks I’ve seen was Erik Meijer’s on CoSQL and NoSQL.
> [...]

I'd add that such high abstraction as category theory (IOW "abstract
nonsense"), isn't exactly a thing you apply specifically to RDF. RDF
after all is just one data model in a long line of formal data and
knowledge representation.

Thus, if you want to do a proper literature search for how it has been
used in the past to solve similar problems, at the very least see how it
has been applied to the relational model and its offspring in the past.
If my memory serves at all right, the theory of schema transformations
and/or mappings have already received some categorical treatment, as has
database normalization, as have various particular data description
logic derived particular data representations, and in particular the
semantic data models of '80-'90 lore (one of them being Codd's RM/T).

The translation of all of that stuff onto the RDF graph model is then
obviously just one morphism amongst others.
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - decoy@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-40-3255353, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2