Is there a way to identify the a user in a web request?

From: Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 11:53:26 +0200
To: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
In most communication protocols it's possible to specify a sender

For example, when I send a letter I can write my address on the back

When I make a phone call, it's possible to have "caller display" to see
who's calling

When sending an email I can see who the email is from

But on the web, it's not obvious how to do this

Does anyone have a solution to this, or why it may be a bad idea?