Re: understanding the user experience of ontologies

Dear Paul,

Silvio Peroni has developed two cool tools that greatly assist in the
understanding and use of OWL ontologies.

    The first is *LODE - the Live Owl Documentation Environment*
    (http://www.essepuntato.it/lode), that automatically extracts
    classes, object properties, data properties, named individuals,
    annotation properties, general axioms and namespace declarations
    from an OWL ontology, and renders them as ordered lists, together
    with their textual definitions, in a human-readable HTML page
    designed for browsing and navigation by means of embedded links.   I
    introduce it
    <http://semanticpublishing.wordpress.com/2011/02/25/using-lode-for-ontology-visualization/>here,
    and there are three conference papers describing it [1 - 3].

    The second is *Graffoo, a Graphical Framework for OWL Ontologies*
    (http://www.essepuntato.it/graffoo), that can be used to present the
    classes, properties and restrictions within OWL ontologies, or
    sub-sections of them, as clear and easy-to-understand diagrams. I
    describe and illustrate it here
    <http://semanticpublishing.wordpress.com/2011/06/29/graffoo-a-graphical-framework-for-owl-ontologies/>.

Both are open source developments that we are keen for people to
employ.  For further information, Silvio can be contacted at
<essepuntato@cs.unibo.it <mailto:essepuntato@cs.unibo.it>>

Hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,

David

[1]    Peroni S, Shotton D and Vitali F (2012). Latest developments to
LODE. In /Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Knowledge
Engineering and Knowledge Management (EKAW 2012)/ (ten Teije A, Völker
J, Handschuh S, Stuckenschmidt H, d'Aquin M, Nikolov A, Aussenac-Gilles
N and Hernandez N: Eds.): 417-420. Heidelberg, Germany:
Springer.doi:10.1007/978-3-642-33876-2_37
<http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-33876-2_37>.

[2]    Peroni S, Shotton D and Vitali F (2012). The Live OWL
Documentation Environment: a tool for the automatic generation of
ontology documentation. In /Proceedings of the 18th International
Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management (EKAW
2012)/ (ten Teije A, Völker J, Handschuh S, Stuckenschmidt H, d'Aquin M,
Nikolov A, Aussenac-Gilles N and Hernandez N: Eds.): 398-412.
Heidelberg, Germany: Springer. doi:10.1007/978-3-642-33876-2_35
<http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-33876-2_35>.

[3]    Peroni S, Shotton D and Vitali F (2012). Making ontology
documentation with LODE. /Proceedings of the Poster & Demo Track of the
8th International Conference on Semantic Systems (i-Semantics 2012)/.
Aachen, Germany: Sun SITE Central Europe.Available from
http://palindrom.es/phd/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/lode_demo_isemantics2012_cr.pdf.

--

Dr David Shotton
Research Data Management and Semantic Publishing Research Group