Re: SPIN prospects

Hi Bernard,

I honestly don't know how many other people are using SPIN. The Data
Quality Constraints Library [1] is a good public SPIN library for
example. Another excellent example of the benefits of SPIN is the QUDT
units ontology that comes with a SPIN library of unit transformation
functions [2]. But I expect more adoption will follow as a result of the
recent syntax simplification. Time to really get the community going!

My guess is that the publicly visible semantic web is only a fraction of
the usage of this technology though. So there is a lot of dark matter -
closed RDF projects within corporate networks. As most of TopQuadrant's
customers are large enterprises, it's no surprise that adoption hasn't
been very visible so far. On the other hand, most publicly visible other
semantic models (esp OWL files) have probably been the result of
research projects, while we hardly see industrial adoption of OWL (DL)
either.

HTH
Holger

[1] http://semwebquality.org/ontologies/dq-constraints