Re: predatory journals and conferences article in NY Times

On 04/23/2013 09:38 PM, ProjectParadigm-ICT-Program wrote:
> Maybe someone should start an iJournals store with articles costing a
> fixed amount and come up with a formula to pay each contributing journal
> for content.

The whole pay-to-publish model is obsolete and should be discarded
wholesale, since documents can be published for free on the web.
Correspondingly, science should not be based on a pay-to-read model.

We need to break the parasitic feedback cycle in which researchers think
they need to publish in conventional journals and publishers feed on
this perceived need.  I suggest that researchers take an "open science"
pledge to only cite articles that are available on the web with free and
open access.

If it isn't on the web -- with free and open access -- it doesn't exist.

David