Re: Semantic Web for the Film Industry

On 9 March 2012 16:10,  <dave@dknicholas.com> wrote:

> I'm hoping to begin postgraduate research looking into the use of
> Semantic Web technologies within the film industry. This will likely
> cover suitable ontologies and semantic markup that filmmakers should
> begin using as their industry moves further and further onto the web.
> I'm interested in getting in touch with anyone else in the community
> who might be working on (or interested in) anything in a similar field.
> I'm aware of the Web and TV IG but haven't yet managed to find anyone
> specifically looking at web technologies with regards to film.
>
> Anyone interested in this area please feel free to drop me an email. I'm
> hoping to put together a group of web technologists for film that can
> collaborate and support each other's work.

There are so many sides to this, ... for film specifics you might look
at some of the work around modeling narrative. I have a collection of
misc bookmarks at http://pinboard.in/u:danbri/t:narrative/ that might
be worth a look. In particular,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radiolabs/2008/08/archrs_an_everyday_story_of_we.shtml
and http://web.archive.org/web/20030925064723/http://www.idealliance.org/papers/dx_xmle03/papers/03-03-01/03-03-01.html
cover representing fictional worlds, although they're both for soap
series rather than movies.  See also
http://eprints.aktors.org/440/01/tuffieldetal.pdf
http://contextus.net/stories/

Maybe take a look at tools like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtx and
think through how the basic entities and topics of the film's "world"
might be represented more explicitly, even as the work takes shape
from first ideas. This might be of interest for film makers who are
hoping for their work to spawn spin-off series, computer games, books
and novelty lunch boxes; but also for factual / documentary film
makers who want to improve the findability of their work (at various
levels - from clip to entire work).

Hope this helps,

cheers,

Dan