Re: Intranet ontology?

From: Alexander Johannesen <alexander.johannesen@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 22:02:52 +1100
To: Rob Styles <rs@kasabi.com>
Cc: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
"Rob Styles" <rs@kasabi.com> wrote:
> Perhaps if you could give some concrete examples of what you want to
describe, real entities and their attributes and relationships, then folks
on here can suggest models for them? I mean real example data to work with.

Well, I guess I could, although I don't waste too much of peoples' time. :)
However, there's two things to say to that ;

1. Yes, I'll provide some examples, but 2. Ready-made ontologies also work
as a shared platform for thought, and I was hoping not to make my own as
there is tons of stuff I might miss out on, forget, not realize, etc, and
so on. My trust in my own fallability is rather fuzzy.

Anyway, I'm creating a rather all-encompassing Intranet platform (I use
Topic Maps rather that RDF, but I can convert back and forth with some
ease) that basically is an application delivery platform. Lots of
overlapping domains that somehow encompasses the concept of "Intranet";
CMS, KM, DMC, CRM, and a few other good shorties. I could use ontologies
from each field, but the overlap is staring me in the face, laughing at my
feable attempts at unifying them without creating too much complexity.

Even an upper ontology at this point would be good. Examples of entities
are people, projects, companies, organisations, clients, systems, domains,
partners, reports, documents, printers, machines, hardware, software. And
then relationships on top, grouping, collections, direction, cardinality,
impact, range, and so on.

I can imagine doing it myself and ending up with a couple of hundred
entities and maybe a hundred relationships (I like them slightly ambiguous
:) ), but I was expecting to have a hard problem selecting between them,
and not a hard time *finding* them.

Anyway, any help would be lovely.

Thanks,

Alex