Re: [http-range14] how to publish RDF for Information Resources

Hey fellas,

Did you check out the W3C interest group note we wrote on how to make
these uris and how to do the 303 or #-uris?

http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/

this was the original question:
"when I dereferencing the original http://example.com/homepage.html it
did not result as a homepage.html itself and got a RDF. So there is a
paradox here."

This question has been answered in cooluris in length.
(the document explains what timbl and the TAG meant with http-range14
and extends it with best-practices found)

also check out:
http://linkeddatabook.com/editions/1.0/

(p.s.: this http-range-14 (or "uricrisis") question pops up every week
here since 2001, and usually people do not point the asking person to
the W3C note nor Bizer's excellent guides that exist since ~2007. it
took us months to write the guides. I wonder why they are not so popular.
Really - why? :-)

The discussion of scenario 1 and 2 have been broadly addressed in "cool
uris", I copy the important bits for your reference:

The second solution is to use a special HTTP status code, 303 See Other,
to give an indication that the requested resource is not a regular Web
document. Web architecture tells you that for a thing resource (URI) it
is inappropriate to return a 200 because there is, in fact, no suitable
representation for those resources. However, it is useful to provide
information about those resources. The W3C's Technical Architecture
Group proposes in its httpRange-14 resolution
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2005Jun/0039.html> [httpRange
<http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/#ref-httpRange>] document a solution that
is to direct you to a document which has information /about/ the thing
you asked about. By doing this we avoid ambiguity between the original,
real-world object and the resource that represents it.

Since 303 is a redirect status code, the server can give the location of
a document that represents the resource. If, on the other hand, a
request is answered with one of the usual status codes in the 2XX range,
like 200 OK, then the client knows that the URI identifies a Web document.

If Example Inc. adopts this solution, they could use these URIs to
represent the company, Alice and Bob:

http://www.example.com/id/exampleinc
    Example Inc., the company
http://www.example.com/id/bob
    Bob, the person
http://www.example.com/id/alice
    Alice, the person

The Web server would be configured to answer requests to all these URIs
with a 303 status code and a Location HTTP header that provides the URL
of a document that represents the resource./ /For example, to redirect
from http://www.example.com/id/alice to http://www.example.com/doc/alice.

Content-negotiation is then used when retrieving a representation from
the document URI using a HTTP request. The server decides (see Section
4.7 <http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/#implementation>) to return either
HTML or RDF (or more alternative forms) and sets
the Content-Location header to the URI where the specific representation
can be retrieved.

This setup should be used when the RDF and HTML (and possibly more
alternative representations) convey the /same information in different
forms/. When the information in the variations differs considerably, the
303 approach as described below
<http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/#r303uri> should be used.

See the following illustration for the solution providing the generic
document URI.

solution for a generic document URI

In this setup, the server forwards from the identification URI to the
generic document URI. This has the advantage that clients can bookmark
and further work with the generic document. A user having a RDF-capable
client could bookmark the document, and mail it to another user (or
device) which then dereferences it and gets the HTML /or/ the RDF view.
Also, the server can add representations in new languages in the future.
Just because the client started with the URI of a thing, it doesn't mean
that the document involved is not a first class document on the WWW. The
background of generic document resources is described in [GenRes
<http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/#ref-GenRes>].

      4.3. 303 URIs forwarding to Different Documents

When the RDF and HTML representations of the resource differ
substantially, the previous setup should not be used. They are not two
versions of the same document, but different documents altogether.
Again, the Web server would be configured to answer requests with a 303
status code and a Location HTTP header that provides the URL of a
document that represents the resource.

The following picture shows the redirects for the 303 URI solution
without the generic document URI:

The 303 URI solution

The server could employ content negotiation (see Section 2.1.
<http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/#conneg>) to send either the URL of an
HTML description or RDF. HTTP requests for HTML content would be
redirected to the HTML URLs we gave in Section 2
<http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/#oldweb>. Requests for RDF data would be
redirected to RDF documents, such as:

http://www.example.com/data/exampleinc
    RDF document describing Example Inc., the company
http://www.example.com/data/bob
    RDF document describing Bob, the person
http://www.example.com/data/alice
    RDF document describing Alice, the person

Each of the RDF documents would contain statements about the appropriate
resource, using the original URI, e.g. http://www.example.com/id/alice,
to identify the described resource.

It was Andrea Splendiani (RRes-Roth) who said at the right time
17.02.2012 19:21 the following words:

Leo Sauermann, Dr.
CEO and Founder

mail: leo.sauermann@gnowsis.com