Re: [topicmapmail] Business Applications

Quintin,

On 08/19/2012 07:10 AM, Quintin Siebers wrote:
> Hey,
>
> We've been working on such a system for a few years now, and our
> current version is open to have a look at:
>
> http://en.mssm.nl/software/kamala-in-the-cloud/

Good point but Kamala requires (as any topic map application does) that
you establish what subjects you want to talk about, their identifies,
relationships, etc. Having said that, you can fill it with whatever
content you like.

My objection to Sebastian's needs/features is their universal nature.

If I were writing a topic map for business expenses, it would be very
unlikely to include the rules for receipts written in cuneiform (the
earliest business document is a receipt for beer at an inn). Not that
topic maps can't do that, but most clients are unlikely to be
interested. For that matter, of the thousands of natural languages in
existence, most clients are going to be interested in only one (1).
Topic maps can do more but again, probably not a requirement.

You can see where this is going.

I think topic maps shine brightest meeting the semantic requirements of
actual customers.

That someone, somewhere, off the Net most likely, is not best served by
my topic map is quite likely.

But, I am not arrogant enough to presume to act in their best interest,
never having asked what they want, much less their permission.

Is the "digital divide" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_divide)
the new "white man's burden?
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Man%27s_Burden)"

Hope you are having a great weekend!