Re: AW: {Disarmed} Re: blank nodes (once again)

Michael is spot on, as usual. Existentials *in a conclusion of an entailment* are more similar to a universally quantified variable in data, in fact.  Doing without those would severely restrict the expressivity of rich entailment schemes like OWL.

However, that said, I think one can respond. Apart from the last example of negative properties (which is new to me, I confess, and seems like a truly horrible way to sneak negation into a positive logic; so horrible indeed that I might feel good about finding a way to make it illegal), all of these cases are handled by the use of variables in SPARQL, and do not require that the RDF *being queried* (as opposed to the query itself) contain blank nodes.

One can think of a query in two ways. In one view, it is a 'pattern' which gets 'matched' against the data, and the resulting bindings to the variables in the pattern are the answers. In another, it is a sentence which is posed as a goal to be proved, and the answers are the bindings to (some of) the existential variables in the goal sentence. One might call these respectively the syntactic and entailment views of querying. Clearly, Michael views querying from the entailment standpoint. (FWIW, I prefer the syntactic one.) This means however that what counts as an answer depends upon what entailment regime one is presuming to be in use. I do not, myself, believe that querying RDF data under an OWL 2 entailment regime is likely to be a widely used option in the forseeable future; but even if it is, it will surely be done using SPARQL, and SPARQL syntax itself provides variables to play the role of existential variables in examples like this. So I remain unconvinced by all these examples. We can get all the querying anyone needs done using SPARQL, without needing to use blank nodes to be the existential variables. RDF should not be used as a query language: it is a language for transmitting data across the Web.

Pat