Re: Comments on "SPARQL 1.1 Uniform HTTP Protocol for Managing RDF Graphs"

Hi all!

I have previously complained that the "Dataset HTTP Protocol" specification is
difficult to understand and possibly in conflict with webarch, and I've been
challenged to be more specific. Now, I've tried to see the issue from more
sides, and I found an old post from timbl that pinpoints a key issue, and for
that reason, I have chosen to follow up on that post instead of starting a
new thread.

Tim Berners-Lee wrote a long time ago:
> 4) So when a GET or PUT is done, this is an implementation of HTTP. It is
> not a new protocol, in that HTTP only is used.  You can't know AND SHOULD
> NOT BE ABLE TO KNOW that in fact there is a SPARQL engine behind it.  That
> bit in caps as it is essential when you provide HTTP that you do totally
> support HTTP, so everything like creation date and expiry etc etc all hold.
> You may well use conneg as well for PUT and GET, for example.  Where GET
> and PUT are concerned this is not a new protocol, and the document should
> take the position as to it is explaining how for a SPARQL service owner to
> support HTTP on those graphs (or rather, virtual RDF documents).

So, the key issue and the root of my confusion is the question: "What does the
URI of a information resource consisting of some RDF triples identify?" The
question isn't admittedly not very precise, for a reason that will be
apparent soon.

Lets take an example: What does the URI http://www.kjetil.kjernsmo.net/foaf
identify? Apart from a foaf:PersonalProfileDocument, is it an RDF Graph or an
RDF Document?

For reference, "RDF graph" was originally defined in Concepts and Abstract
Syntax AFAICS:
http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-concepts/#dfn-rdf-graph
whereas "RDF Document" was defined in RDF/XML Syntax:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-rdf-syntax/#section-conformance

My intuition has always been that http://www.kjetil.kjernsmo.net/foaf
identifies an RDF Document, and this intuition seems to be shared by at least
the "Cool URIs for the Semantic Web" Note:
http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/#distinguishing
While this is just a Note, and may not even use the term in the meaning of
RDF/XML Syntax specification.

It is then my interpretation of timbl's post above that if
http://www.kjetil.kjernsmo.net/foaf identifies an RDF Document and not an RDF
Graph, then, if that document happens to be served by a SPARQL RDF Dataset
protocol server rather than from a file on a filesystem on an Apache server
as today, this MUST NOT change, if the specification insists on a 200
response (which it should, IMHO).

So, my issue all boils down to whether the URI of the stuff that people have
been publishing for years identifies RDF Documents or RDF Graphs. If it
identifies an RDF Graph, then the current spec is OK (if still somewhat
opaque), but if it identifies an RDF Document, there surely is an
inconsistency somewhere?

Surely, a resource can't be both an RDF Document and an RDF Graph? Further,
does it have any bearing on the problem that
http://www.kjetil.kjernsmo.net/foaf is a foaf:PersonalProfileDocument? Can
something be both a foaf:PersonalProfileDocument and an RDF Document? (my
intuition says yes) Can something be both a foaf:PersonalProfileDocument and
an RDF Graph? (my intuition says no). There are many other conventional
resources to identify the same way, owl:Ontology and cc:Work comes to mind.
Would the answer be any different?

Now, I've possibly exposed myself as totally confused about core Semantic Web
concepts, but I do so with the confidence that I'm not a n00b, and if I'm
confused, I'm probably not alone, and the issue should be properly explained
to the community.

Best regards,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
PhD Research Fellow, University of Oslo, Norway