Re: Reasoning over millions of triples - any working reasoners?

From: Sampo Syreeni <decoy@iki.fi>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 00:19:37 +0200 (EET)
To: Ivan Mikhailov <imikhailov@openlinksw.com>
cc: Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org>, Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
On 2011-01-19, Ivan Mikhailov wrote:

> Virtuoso deals with owl:sameAs in a scalable way, so you can try. Of
> course, a single chain 50 million connections long would cause
> problems, but more traditional cases should work fine. Google for
> "virtuoso owl:same-as input:inference" may be the fastest way to get
> more hints.

To amplify my previous point... Even Knuth's bible contains the basic
sequential union-tree algorithm, which solves the basic, underlying
problem (e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disjoint-set_data_structure
etc.) in amortized linear time. The tree-like update algorithms for that
also parallelize pretty well.

A mere fifty million indices mean nothing when you mind your algos, and
especially if you really utilize the current parallel hardware we have
to its fullest. It'd actually be a shame if you couldn't sustain 50M
such arbitrary reductions per hour, guaranteed, full-time, on a single
Duo, even using something much less efficient than well-hand-optimized C
and/or assembly. Of course provided that you could get the data on and
off the chip in time, given your chosen encoding.
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - decoy@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-50-5756111, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2