Re: Best Practice for Renaming OWL Vocabulary Elements

Hi Bob,
Thanks!

In my opinion, explicit versioning of ontologies should be avoided in general; rather, one should evolve deployed ontology in a backwards-compatible fashion only. While there is is quite some academic work on ontology versioning, fact is that in practice, if you use fine-grained versioning, the Semantic Graph will break more frequently and you will need a lot more inferred triples.

So in GoodRelations, we use only one version of the ontology (http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1) and all modifications are as much backwards-compatible as possible. From time to time, we have widened the domain or range of a property from a single class to the union of multiple classes or other minor changes, but the side-effects of that are practically irrelevant, in particular if you judge them in the light of real-world data quality of WWW data.

Thus, we do not use owl:priorVersion, owl:versionIRI, owl:backwardCompatibleWith etc., because it is still the same ontology.

I intend to keep it like that ;-)

It's only now that I would like to use shorter labels for 2 - 3 conceptual elements that are already in use, without forcing anybody to

- update data or
- update derived ontologies or
- change queries.

owl:sameAs for all classes, properties, and individuals would further reduce the type of reasoning needed to ensure backward-compatibility, but would at the same time turn GoodRelations into OWL Full.

As for the SemWeb Vocab Status ontology: For keeping things simple, we just use owl:deprecated for the few elements that have been deprecated over time. From my perspective, the popularity / usage of an existing element is more important than the indicated degree of stability.

Martin