Re: How To Do Deal with the Subjective Issue of Data Quality?

On 4/11/11 6:51 AM, Marco Fossati wrote:
> Hi Christian and everyone,
>
> When working with strongly heterogeneous data, quality is fundamental:
> it lets us exploiting the whole potential of the data.
> As I am working with data coming from very local and domain-specific
> realities (e.g. the tourism portal of a small geographical area), I
> would like to stress real world usage and applications. With such a
> focus in mind, in my opinion there are two ways to leverage quality:
>
>    1. Persuading the data publishers we are dealing with to expose
>       better quality data, because they can benefit from it;
>    2. Performing a data restructuration on our own, by trying to find
>       out the rules that should fix the problems coming from data
>       sources (i.e. the problems created by the data publishers).
>
> At the moment, I am discarding the first point, as it seems much more
> effort demanding than the second one. In practice, telling someone who
> is not initiated to Semantic Web technologies that he has to expose
> its data in RDF because he can earn some money in a short term is a
> quite complex task.

If you put "RDF" in the conversation you only increase the mental mirage
quotient of your quest re. monetary value of published data. It's much
easier if you talk about Linked Data as hyperlinks between disparate
data items across the Web that deliver perpetual enrichment via network
effects of the InterWeb. There are many simple examples with regards to
lookups that can simplify the value prop. of Linked Data data esp. you
have "Wikipedia as a Database" as an easy to demonstrate option via
DBpedia, for instance.

> Therefore, the creation of a data quality management ontology is very
> interesting, even if I fear that it could add complexity to an already
> complex issue.

If we connect rather than disconnect with our target audiences by
understanding their terminology first, we'll be more inclined to make
terminology links between ours and those of the value prop. target. This
is a zillion times better than reciting mantras that boil down to: our
terminology or nothing.

> In conclusion, the main question is: how could we write data quality
> constraints (via an implementation of
> http://semwebquality.org/documentation/primer/20101124/index.html for
> example) for transforming data generally coming from non-RDF formats
> (CSV, XML, microformats-annotated web pages)?

Like most things amongst cognitive entities, we ultimately have to put
conversations about data into the data itself. Beyond that, it just
boils down to the subjective needs of the data beholder or consumer.

Kingsley

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen