Are literals owl:Things?

From: Jesse Weaver <weavej3@rpi.edu>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 12:39:51 -0400
To: semantic-web@w3.org
Semantic Web Mailing List,

I was recently asked a question by a former colleague about whether
literals are considered owl:Things.  Initially, my intuition was that
literals are rdfs:Resources but they are not owl:Things.  However,
having looked into the matter more closely, I think I have come to a
different conclusion which I would like to sanity check with the
semantic web community.  Are the following statements true?

Under OWL 1 Direct Model-Theoretic Semantics, literals are not
owl:Things.
(EC(owl:Thing) = O where O is a subset of R that is disjoint from LV
[1].)

Under OWL 1 RDFS-Compatible Semantics, literals are owl:Things for OWL
1 Full and not for OWL 1 DL.
(CEXT_I(S_I(owl:Thing)) = IOT [2], where IOT = R_I for OWL Full [3]
and IOT is disjoint with LV_I for OWL DL [4].)

Under OWL 2 Direct Semantics, literals are not owl:Things.
((owl:Thing)^C = \Delta_I where \Delta_I is disjoint with \Delta_D [5].)

Under OWL 2 RDF-Based Semantics, literals are owl:Things.
(ICEXT(I(owl:Thing)) = IR [6].)

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-semantics/direct.html#3.1
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-semantics/rdfs.html#5.2
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-semantics/rdfs.html#5.3