Re: PUBLINK Linked Data Consultancy

Clearly this is an exciting thing to be doing, but I couldn't let Sören's
comments go :-)

On 07/10/2010 08:57, "Dave Reynolds" <dave.e.reynolds@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 01:38 +0200, Sören Auer wrote:
>> On 07.10.2010 1:13, Georgi Kobilarov wrote:
>>> So, now the EU also takes that burden off the small linked data
>>> consultancies and businesses.
>>
>> Not at all! PUBLINK is not aimed at organizations which already
>> precisely know what they want and are willing to pay for it.
Er, if you know of an organisation that knows precisely what they want in
Linked Data, please tell.

>> It is more aimed at people in organizations who want to persuade their
>> decision makers or decision makers who need more information or a
>> showcase in order to get ultimately involved.
That quite neatly describes every organisation on any new technology, and
certainly every one I have spoken to about Linked Data.

>> Insofar PUBLINK rather clears the way for commercial linked data service
>> providers.
>
> But is not working with any breadth of such providers.
>
> I share Georgi's reservations, seems like an odd direction for EU
> framework projects to take.
Not unusual in direction, of course, but usually there is more of a
financial or externally reviewed contribution from the user organisation.
I too was slightly surprised at the announcement, and thought "that's
unusual". Seems like the EU is simply funding some companies to do what they
they have to do for their main business.
I think the question is whether this is pre-competitive: maybe, but only
just. There are quite a few companies for whom this is exactly what they do
(including project partners).
(I may be out of date about Framework needing to be pre-competitive?)

Of course it makes perfect sense from the projects' point of view, which is
clearly trying to generate new knowledge/technologies as required, and is a
very interesting way of presenting what they want.
Looking for partners to work with to hone your processes and technologies in
Linked Data, and grow the community (both of which we all want), you want to
tell the possible customers that this is a well-polished field, not that
they are being invited to engage in pre-competitive R&D.

So a great initiative for the community, but it does look strange as
presented. But it is only max 5 across Europe.

Best
Hugh