Re: Enquire - WWW - Semantic Desktop/PersonalDataWiki? do you agree?

Hi Leo,
I seem to remember we had an exchange some time ago about Nepomuk/Semantic
Desktop and the complexity of developing file parsers. I think you were
having a glass of wine somewhere.
I am off work at the moment as I have just fractured my arm cycling (damn
it!).
I am very interested in semantic technologies, although I have no use for a
semantic desktop.
I am interested in the benefits and trade offs in using a semantic approach
to solve this problem:-
There are arbitrary in coming streams of data, a few although some are
sizeable data sets.
Some change rapidly (within seconds) others remain stable over months.
The formats are disparate, from XML (with or without schema) through CSV to
SQL calls into a db.
Our approach is to model the domain strongly, but at a sufficient level of
abstraction such that calls to the merged data set are uniform for the
client.
Then, for each source we use some form of ETL - depending on our needs a lot
of effort then has to go into each ETL.
My investigation into semantic solutions include -
1. The automacisity of conversion from XML to RDF.
2. Storage of RDF.
3. Remodelling RDF to reflect the domain.
4. Speed of query triple store against conventional DB.

1. I know of only 1. tool that achieves this - Topbraid - and there is
nothing wrong with this, but difficult to experiment as a skunk project
since it requires a licence.
I don't understand the degree of communality of approach in this area or how
difficult it would be for me to produce my own 'lifter'. Ultimately
desirable for control of the process.
2. This is related to 1. and 4. I'm thinking going the graph db way using
gremlin and any backend. I haven't found other approaches yet that promise
to tackle the issue of query response.
3. This should be the big gain. I am right off the extent of my
understanding but am just about to experiment with this today. I have done
1. and, for sensible queries, need 3. I believe it should be very straight
forward and should be the area in which this approach excels.
4. I have mentioned. This should be measured in a similar way to the Berlin
SPARQL benchmark.

My enquiry is in the direction of whether the very time consuming ETL phase
plus ORM development phase can be side stepped.
One of the issue is whether in coming data can be pre-processed more readily
and timely in this way.

I think this is a fair representation of some of the sorts of issues that
companies might turn to semantic technologies for.

What is important in all of this is that a company will take a proprietary
interest in the data they meld, change and serve.
I assume this is so with google and 'goodrelations'. They must see a benefit
to themselves in offering this format of data.

You have asked about the vision for a particular solution.
Are you lacking what is essential at this stage:a very clearly articulated
vision?
I don't have that vision. I see it in terms of data gathering and
enhancement along with a path to realise the benefits of that for the
company that adopts this solution.

There is, supposedly, a network effect and everyone wins now we have faxes.
That would be more like you can't afford not to have one. Not an assessment
of the actual benefit. And the semantic effort hasn't reached that point
yet. Certainly not for the desktop.
One needs a very clear idea of what problems one's solution tackles and what
the market area is in which these problems are found.
A semantic desktop seems to touch on other solution areas such as social
networking, open (or closed?) solutions in that area as well as machine
machine intelligent interaction.
I don't know how, if or the extent to which you are tackling those areas.
I do think there is a huge difference between enabling a user to create more
data in the form of links to learning about a user a la facebook or google.
I have to understand, what, where, is the value in the former?

I may be very old fashioned, but I see a public sphere increasingly
dominated by few large players principally interested in peoples' shopping
habits.
It requires little intelligence to choose between a Gucci bag or a pair of
Church's shoes or something.
It does require intelligence to do many of the professions, from solicitor
to surveyor. To help those people solve problems for their clients.
Is this the place for Gnowsis? If so how is it going to benefit in these
areas?

BTW, I run a mile from those who claim lack of vision, I see that as an
appeal to the most primitive herd instinct. So we all end up in one herd or
another - but so what!

Best,

Adam