Re: call to arms

2010/3/30 Paola Di Maio <paola.dimaio@gmail.com>

> Melvin
>
> you provide a nice list, but I have the impression most people find it
> ..... not fun?
>
> I think you can achieve most of what you say below with less complexity
> using more intuitive systems (say open ID)

Dont get me wrong I'm a big fan of OpenID, but it was the complexity of
OpenID that lead me to FOAF+SSL.  With openid you need a server that can
provide and verify your identity.  With FOAF+SSL you just need one click to
make your browser into your own identity provider.  FOAF also has the
wonderful side-effect that once you've got the ID, you've got all the
friends and other information there, for free.

> if there were  intefaces to wrap around the components without me having to
> handle the complexity, and
> provide what you say below as a web service, I ll be the first to have a go
>
> Do not expect non geeks, non experts, to actually work tru the complexity
> below to achive what is
> from the 'operational logic' a very marginal utility that can be achieved
> using other means with less effort

It's not necesarily that hard, and I cut corners where necessary, in improve
iteratively, as necessary.

curl -d " insert { <#x> <#y> <#z> } " URI

Is enough to insert a datapoint into a datawiki.  That's a pretty good
start, which gives you awesome power.

> As I emailed Danny and Sandro offlist, user centric design starts
> developing a system from the users viewpoint
> (the interfaces).
>
> from where I stand, the main thing the SW needs is interfaces that
> simplyfy/enable/support/facilitate the navigation thru the sw functions
> (for example a comprehensive dumbproof website with an interface that
> guides me thru all the things I can do with the zillion triples already in
> the wild)
> try this, try that, enter some data here to transform it into RDF, then
> enter some data here to see the relation of this object with another object
> etc)
>
> task model orientation kind of thing
>

> give me an interface that does all that for me I ll test drive it any day

Agree 100% that non-geeks are missing out on semantic web goodness, but it's
a fact that good UI's take time to build and/or capital investment.

But how about this one, though?

http://linkedgeodata.org/browser/?lat=51.512596339703&lon=-0.11626397668084&zoom=16&prop=amenity&val=pub

Here's one I built, it's a work in progress, that's not really much by
modern standards, but at least you can click on various tabs.

http://foaf.me/index.php?webid=http://danbri.org/foaf.rdf#danbri

Hopefully we can build out better UI's over time.