Re: longevity of names

I worked for many years on issues around long-term preservation of digital material.  Danny's point about longevity of identifiers is a good one and it deserves attention, but I can safely say that information expressed as RDF will be far easier to preserve than the vast majority of stuff currently around.  It has a well-documented standard syntax and explicit semantics.  Even if URIs stop resolving and are replaced by new URIs, at least they can still serve their purpose as unique identifiers and in most cases it would be possible to match old identifiers to new ones where necessary.  Contrast this with the current home of a lot of data, inside Excel and Word files where the ability to understand the data is closely linked to a particular application.

The features of the semantic web that make it good for present day interoperability between applications also make it good for interoperability between today and unknown future systems.

Cheers

Bill Roberts