Re: An idea I need help with, or told to stop wasting time on!

ops, accidentally sent too eraly

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Nathan <nathan@webr3.org> wrote:

>  :me foaf:name [
>     ex:value 'nathan' ;
>     ex:type xsd:string ;
>     ex:language 'en-gb' .
>  ] .
>
> foaf:name has range rdfs:Literal, this still allows us to say:

:me foaf:name [
ex:sha_1 'KLSJFS9F7S9D8F7SLADFSLKDJF98SD7' .
]

in this case we know about the bnode that it stands for a literal value and
the ex:sha_1 value of that literal.

your way of specifying the type of the literal reminds me the recent
discussion started by Henry Story:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2010Feb/0174.html

following this we could also say:

:me foaf:name [
    xsd:string 'nathan' ;
    ex:sha_1 'KLSJFS9F7S9D8F7SLADFSLKDJF98SD7' .
 ] .

which expresses the same as:

:me foaf:name [
    owl:sameAs 'nathan'^^xsd:string;
    ex:sha_1 'KLSJFS9F7S9D8F7SLADFSLKDJF98SD7' .
 ] .

> And do some funkier stuff:
>
>  :me foaf:mbox :myemail ;
>  :myemail ex:value <mailto:nathan@webr3.org> ;
>     ex:sha_1 'KLSJFS9F7S9D8F7SLADFSLKDJF98SD7' ;
>     dcterms:created '2010-06-03T15:19:35-05:00' ;
>     dcterms:replaces :oldmail .
>  :oldmail ex:value <mailto:oldemail@webr3.org> .
>
> so because of the way ex:value works, in there we have the triple:
>
> <mailto:nathan@webr3.org> dcterms:replaces <mailto:oldemail@webr3.org> .

ex:way seems to work the same way as owl:sameAs

ex:sha_1 to me seems to make sense with literals but not with a mailbox,
there the foaf-approach of having a distinct property convinces me more:
mbox point to the mailbox which is a resource typically identified by its
mailto-uri, mbox_sha1sum by contrast point to a literal with an
sha1-encoding of the mailto-uri of an email address of the subject. Your
second usage of ex:sha1 ties a resource to its name which seems very
limiting.

the statement "<mailto:nathan@webr3.org> dcterms:replaces <mailto:
oldemail@webr3.org> ." seems however perfectly sound I don't see why this
should need the construct with ex:value an the additional node.

reto