Re: RDF 2.0 Wishlist - Legal RDF which I can't SPARQL

On 29 Jul 2010, at 18:40, Andy Seaborne wrote:

> On 29/07/2010 6:22 PM, Paul Gearon wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 1:13 PM, Paul Gearon<gearon@ieee.org>  wrote:
> >
> > <snip/>
> >
> >> In a hack similar to the one I mentioned with FILTER, but you can always say:
> >>
> >> insert { graph<http://example.com/graph>  {
> >>   ?u  foo:Property  "something" } }
> >> { { select IRI("http://example.com/mylamefoafdocument`uri") as ?u {} } }

This is dependant on the definition of the function "IRI()", and it seems odd to me, based on the function name, that it would generate an illegal IRI.

> but it still isn't a legal IRI.

:)

> There are two levels here:
>
> The syntax, that says:
>
> IRI_REF	  ::=  	'<' ([^<>"{}|^`\]-[#x00-#x20])* '>'
>
> but also the syntax rules in the URI RFC (now RFC 3986) including any scheme-specific rules.
>
> Last time, IIRC DAWG decided not to copy over the full grammar for IRIs, but to put in a more general but smaller pattern.
>
> For example, "[" "]" are only legal as delimiters for IPv6 addresses in the authority part.
>
> 	Andy

Am guessing I should have just emailed the SPARQL WG people, but I thought I would also flag this matter with the RDF 2.0 folks.

Cheers,

Mischa

> >> But then I realized that this uses a non-standard constructor for
> >> IRIs! I should raise this as a possible function for SPARQL 1.1.
> >
> > I just realized that this *is* valid SPARQL 1.1. The documentation for
> > IRI() isn't defined everywhere yet (it has its own section, but
> > doesn't yet appear in the tables).
> >
> > BTW, I'm not saying that this is the solution. (All those curly braces
> > give me the shivers). But it is *a* solution.  :-)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Paul Gearon

Mischa Tuffield PhD
Email: mischa.tuffield@garlik.com
Homepage - http://mmt.me.uk/
Garlik Limited, 1-3 Halford Road, Richmond, TW10 6AW
+44(0)845 645 2824  http://www.garlik.com/