Re: list policy re patent discussion

On 18 Jul 2010, at 04:44, Renato Iannella wrote:

> On 18 Jul 2010, at 02:58, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
>
>> My understanding of the policy of this list is that we do not discuss patents in this forum.
>
> The SWIG Charter on IPR does not state that:
>
> "W3C reminds participants to disclose, where known, the IPR status of information that they share in the Interest Group meetings and materials, in accordance with Section 6 of the W3C Patent Policy"
>
> See: http://www.w3.org/2006/07/swig-charter.html#Ipr

>From a quick search:

"While I understand the interest, with a SWIG chairing hat on, I
recommend that participants here do not dissect patents and patent
applications on this list." [1]

"And to other list members, I repeat my advise from 2002 on
www-rdf-interest (...): let's find other topics to talk about." [2]

"Until we have heard back from our lawyers, I encourage folk to
focus on non-patent topics on the www-rdf-* mailing lists." [3]

Might be worth writing down.

Damian

[1] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2010May/0132.html>
[2] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2008Jan/0167.html>