RE: RDF Extensibility

If one has some constraint like this in mind, one should consider trying to
make it explicit when creating the ontology. In the cited messages above, I
am reading:

  "Maybe OWL says something about disjointness
  of RDF properties and classes."

Well, this is /not/ the case, but one could have explicitly stated:

  foaf:Person rdf:type [ owl:complementOf rdf:Property ] .

as an additional axiom in FOAF (and likewise for other classes, if desired),
or more generically:

  rdfs:Class owl:disjointWith rdf:Property .

Of course, this is not in OWL DL, but FOAF is outside OWL DL, anyway, due to
its inverse-functional data properties. However, the above is in OWL Full
(as FOAF is), and also within the scope of the OWL 2 RL/RDF Rules. So, under
these entailment regimes, if one asserts the statements:

  foaf:Person rdf:type rdfs:Class .
  foaf:Person rdf:type rdf:Property .

this then leads to a semantic inconsistency (with either of the two
alternatives given above). And there are a number of reasoners around which
are able to detect these kinds of inconsistencies, e.g.:

  <http://www.ivan-herman.net/Misc/2008/owlrl/>

Michael

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Research Scientist, Information Process Engineering (IPE)

Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts, Az 14-0563.1, RP Karlsruhe
Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Wolffried Stucky, Prof. Dr. Rudi Studer