Re: protocol negotiation

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 8:46 PM, Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thinking out loud...
>
> just a thought, your user agent says http://example.org, but it also
> says xmpp://blah
>
> http://something are excellent identifiers, but can we not throw in a
> header to say "quick stuff here".
>
> I expect someone's already spec'd this out...
>

> Er, in humans way, you send me a message over email/im/facebook, and I
> say to you, let's take this to *another. We talk over a different
> protocol.
>
> So we shift to another protocol. Advertised in the headers.
>

> Why not fire a header over http to say - use this other protocol now.
> The http identifiers stand, but if you need something like realtime
> you can get it.
>
> Use the http:// as the bottom line (we can always resolve that), keep
> the identifiers, but work on maybe three levels - 7
>
> inside the vm
> http
> xmpp
>
> (I would suggest more, but lack imagination)

as mentioned, there's the Upgrade header, which I believe SPDY uses.

I'm not really sure what you're asking, but the Link header / Web
Linking sounds like it might be the thing:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nottingham-http-link-header
which we use for metalink to provide mirrors:
   Link: <http://www2.example.com/example.ext>; rel="duplicate"
   Link: <ftp://ftp.example.com/example.ext>; rel="duplicate"
   Link: <http://example.com/example.ext.metalink>; rel="describedby";
type="application/metalink4+xml"

--
(( Anthony Bryan ... Metalink [ http://www.metalinker.org ]
  )) Easier, More Reliable, Self Healing Downloads