Re: Call for Game Ideas: the INSEMTIVES Game Challenge

On 15 February 2010 14:45, Katharina Siorpaes
<katharina.siorpaes@gmail.com>wrote:

>  (apologies for cross postings)
>
> Find all information at http://challenge.insemtives.eu/
>
> INSEMTIVES Game Idea Challenge
>
> Co-located with the 7th Extended Semantic Web Conference (ESWC 2010)
> as part of the SemWiki 2010 workshop<http://wiki.kiwi-project.eu/confluence/display/SEMWIKI10/SemWiki2010>
>
> Deadline for submission: 09.04.2010 (12.00 AM, GMT)
>
> Win attractive prizes at the INSEMTIVES Game Idea Challenge!
>
>    - 1st Prize: *iPhone*
>    - 2nd Prize: *iPod Nano*
>    - 3rd Prize: *iPod Shuffle*
>
> Useful semantic content cannot be created fully automatically, but
> motivating people to contribute to this process remains challenging. Our
> project INSEMTIVES <http://www.insemtives.eu> revisits fundamental design
> issues of semantic-content authoring tools in order to find out which
> incentives speak to people to become engaged with the Semantic Web, and to
> determine ways in which such mechanisms can be transferred into technology
> design. Hiding the technicalities of knowledge engineering, semantic
> annotation and data integration behind captivating, entertaining games seems
> to be a promising approach to achieve this goal.
>
> As part of the *INSEMTIVES game challenge* we are looking for colorful,
> innovative ideas with a twist for new “games with a purpose”. The purpose,
> of course, is primarily the creation of useful semantic content, but there
> are no bounds to your creativity. To get some inspiration, you can have a
> look at some of our games: OntoPronto and OntoTube<http://www.ontogame.org>,
> which are about the development and population of an ontology, and the
> semantic annotation of video content, respectively. Other relevant topics
> could include the annotation of text, music files, photo collections, but
> also the interlinking of RDF data sets, their curation, the alignment of
> data sources, or any other aspect that facilitates the uptake of the
> Semantic Web.

Any prize for the top score? :)

Enjoyed playing this game, but I think you need to encourage more of a
'Linked Open Game' style.

So
1. I should be able to login with my FOAF (e.g. FOAF+SSL or say
semantictweet)
2. Invite a friend should be taken from my foaf:knows
3. My score should be marked up using RDF, as a local 'asset'
4. My assets should be exportable to the Linked Data ecosystem (FOAF)

Essentially this enables you to build up a global reputation for performing
various actions, and to be able to view the metrics (scores) at Web Scale.

The world of gaming has been *crying* out for something like this for 30
years.  Closest we have is something like chess ratings or maybe the
Olympics.

What we need is the schemaless property of RDF to come in here, and provide
a global gaming ecosystem, exportable back to your FOAF and with bridges to
some of the legacy stuff.  Of course, this applies equally well to karma,
reputation, trust etc. in the general sense... the same infrastructure is
reused.

Anyway, look forward to seeing the prize winning entries! :)