Re: Linked Data Mash-a-thon

Juan --

It's rather simple.  To convey what linked data is to the outside
bubblers, we simply need to have Oprah understand it.

Before Oprah tweeted on her show, Twitter was used by the early
adopters, sorry I don't have the number offhand.

After Oprah got it, Twitter went/is everywhere.

If Oprah doesn't understand Mesh, Hack, etc, then the outsiders won't get it.

Hopefully this gave a few a chuckle or made a bit of sense.

Corey

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 5:21 PM, Juan Sequeda <juanfederico@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow. I was in a meeting for 2 hours and my email got flooded.
>
> I'm glad that this discussion came up, but I don't think this is such a big
> deal.
>
> First of all. I thought to myself (and sorry for being repetitive), if the
> gurus of the semantic web are together for 5 days, how about we take
> advantage of that and do something cool. I know that ISWC is a
> research/academic conference and understand that the term "hacking" may not
> be well received.   But cool for whom?
>
> Kingsley said: Linked Data meme is not about programmers solely. Its
> supposed to be inherently inclusive :-)
>
> For everybody who is not inclusive!.. which IMHO.. is about everybody else
> except the semantic web community. We (the semantic web community) live in a
> bubble (there, I said it!). If you talk to people outside our bubble (the
> rest of the world), they think we are crazy. I know Kingsley will cut right
> in and object to what I am saying but this is my real life example. FYI,
> I've started the Semantic Web Austin group, we are now a non-profit, we have
> industry partners, advisory board members  so I can say that "selling" the
> semantic web in order to get support is HARD because we, the people in the
> bubble, have not been able to convey the semantic web to the mainstream. I
> urge everybody to try to explain what Linked Data and the Semantic Web is 1)
> web developer 2) CEO 3) VC investors 4) my parents! If they can all
> understand, I want to know what you told them. I still haven't been able to
> do this successfully.
>
> We need to bridge the semantic web community with the rest of the world.
> Linked Data is starting to get traction, but we still don't have cool things
> that can show 1) web developer 2) CEO 3) VC investors 4) my parents! Well
> actually, http://dbpedia.neofonie.de/ this is really cool that all 4 groups
> would see a value. So... can we get, as Giovanni says "those that instead
> "would get bored otherwise" usually funnel into these things", to build
> something cool?
>
> Pat Hayes said: How about calling it a  Data Link-a-thon ?
>
> I don't know how much this would imply of linking data, but I like the name.
>
> Giovanni Tummarello said:p.s. as i was saying to juan i might be able to put
> some $$$ for a prize if we really do it (need to check with accounting)
>
> Wow, that would be awesome!
>
> Hopefully we can come up with a neutral name that ISWC organizers can accept
>

> Juan Sequeda, Ph.D Student
> Dept. of Computer Sciences
> The University of Texas at Austin
> www.juansequeda.com
> www.semanticwebaustin.org
>

> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Brian Manley wrote:

>>> Kingsley, I find it rather ironic that someone whose cryptic,
>>> buzzword-overloaded, often unparsable messages here, on his blog and on
> [...]

Corey Leong
Executive Director
Global Real Estate And Technology Consortium (GR8C)
PO Box 691871
Orlando, FL 32869

web:     http://gr8c.org
mobile:  +1 407 963 5209