Re: RDF file statistics

Dear Alisdair,

On Oct 1, 2009, at 1:25 PM, Alisdair Owens wrote:
> At the moment this is just for static dataset analysis: I wanted to
> be able to find out some basic stats about datasets that run into
> the billions (or trillions, if such a dataset exists) of triples,
> and realised that extracting that information from an RDF store
> would be a really slow task.  I doubt this would be especially
> useful as a stats generation tool for a standalone RDF store,
> although it might be.  I don't know how long comprehensive stats
> generation for query optimisation typically takes in an RDF

well, it's a general problem to get up-to-date stats from stores and
implementations if you need them outside for query federation, etc.
In a RDBMS not all attributes are indexed, so it need stats about
selectivites/distributions of all the attributes for optimizing
queries. But in an RDF store you have the index over all triples/quads
and most RDF stores don't use stats because they can get cardinality
estimations for triple patterns from the index also. E.g. they just
scan and count the entries in the b-tree. I don't know what they do in
case of hash indexes though.

If you calc stats from outside you can only do snapshots and if data
is highly dynamic the stats might not be accurate all time.

> As for open-sourcing the code, I'm more than happy to share with
> anyone - just email me and I'll send it off to you.  It would be
> nice to know what people would use it for (just out of
> curiosity :-) ).  In terms of making an actual release, I'd like to
> tidy up the code rather, and have more of a 'finished product'
> before I do that - hence my sending it off to this list for
> suggestions!

since I'm very busy right now and I don't have time to seriously play
around with it, I'll come back to you at the end of the year if that
is okay.

Thanks and best regards,
AndyL