Re: Ontology modules and namespaces

Hi Simon

I have only just seen your question about namespaces  and saw that the
discussion so far has missed discussing the relevant namespace standards
(even the somewhat silly dispute about whether TopBraid Composer follows
the standards concerning namespaces and XML Base: for the record, it does).

Basically there are three: XML Namespaces [1], RDF Schema, and RDF/XML
Syntax. OWL, for example, defers to all three of these.

There is a foundational issue in that XML Namespaces were done in a bit
of a hurry, and then the way that RDF interacts with them isn't the same
as when they are being used in XML.

So first: from the point of view of the logical meaning of an RDF or OWL
document, namespaces are completely irrelevant.
The role of namespaces is to organize names into (informal) collections,
for the convenience of the user (in this case the ontologist).
Hence, if you find it more convenient to use one namespace instead of
several then you should.

There is quite a gap between the Namespaces in XML Rec. and RDF. The
former says simply:
[[
Definition: An *XML namespace* is identified by an IRI reference
[RFC3987] <http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-names11-20060816/#IRIRef>;
element and attribute names may be placed in an XML namespace using the
mechanisms described in this specification.
]]
so that a namespace is a collection of names.

RDF/XML [2] gives a mechanism for mapping namespace qualified names to
RDF URI References (intended to be compatible with IRI Refs), and hence
to URIRef nodes in an RDF graph.

RDF Schema [3] (the RDF Vocabulary Description Language) then gives
informal definitions to the various names in both the rdf and rdfs
namespaces. A key half paragraph giving insight into the relationship
between namespaces and vocabularies is found in:

[[ The core vocabulary is defined in a namespace informally called
'rdfs' here. That namespace is identified by the URI-Reference
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema# and is associated with the prefix
'rdfs'. This specification also uses the prefix 'rdf' to refer to the
RDF namespace
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-syntax-grammar-20040210/#section-Namespace>
http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#.
]]

The relationship between vocabularies (and ontologies) and namespaces is
informal. Often the terms in a vocabulary or ontology are defined in one
or two namespaces. There is no prohibition on using a vocabulary in
which every term is from its own namespace. The use of namespaces allows
us to use prefixes, which allows us to avoid writing cumbersome URIs too
many times.

Jeremy Carroll
TopQuadrant

[1]