Re: RDF 2 Wishlist

Hi Sandro,

Now is probably a good time for the next versions of the RDF and SPARQL
specs to recognize that most of the world's economy runs on SQL-style *closed
world* negation in its database applications.

Adding closed world negation (and also closed world aggregation) to
RDF/SPARQL semantics could be done in an upward compatible manner.  This
would in particular reduce the need for ugly workarounds like "filter" --
the many examples of which on the discussion lists do at least illustrate
that CW negation is needed.

Including the ability to "close" is really just commonsense -- how can you
add up a list of numbers if you cannot find out what the list consists of?

The following is an exercise with negation and aggregation showing how to do
the above, that folks can view, run and change using browsers:

   www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/RDFQueryLangComparison1.agent

W3C could also usefully consider adopting the rule language used therein and
in [1] as a standard for both syntax and (model theoretic, human
comprehensible) semantics.  Is anyone interested in supporting that
consideration with a financial contribution to W3C?  If so, we would be glad
to help with the technical work.

Just my 3 cents.

                                    -- Adrian

[1] Internet Business Logic
A Wiki and SOA Endpoint for Executable Open Vocabulary English over SQL and
RDF
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com    Shared use is free

Adrian Walker
Reengineering