Re: Research Illusion

Azamat,

Sorry for the confusion I caused using the phrase "common standard ontologies", what I meant to say was "common standard categories of ontologies'.

What I think is valid point you made was that everybody is defending his own turf and developed tools, and you recommend catalyzing some process of unification/standardization in order to get the intended process going.

Unfortunately it is about a bit more than just ontologies.

The open source software community does not adhere to standards as a whole, or at least not in a sense that we can safely assume that most open source code is written in forms which follow similar systems for development, quality control etc.

What we do need is some catalyzing agents of change, whether this be the creation of a set of standard categories of ontologies, some standards for open source development, some quality control guidelines for digital publications as I mentioned in earlier emails, or just some individual, or company/consortium or funding agency to get some of these things going.

I applaud anyone willing to finance and/or shoulder such an undertaking.

I have proposed some bold ideas as well and lacking the resources you seem to have access to, have had to resort to bouncing off ideas to dozens of organizations, funding entities, governmental agencies at national levels (US.. Holland, etc., East Asia), regional levels (UNEP, European Union), and international levels (UNEP and FAO).

The fact that every single one of them with the noticeable exception of the Club of Rome has shown interest in discussing the ideas (ALL of them entailing ICT empowerment on a global level), shows the willingness to explore new avenues and keeping all options open.

One thing I know, is going to be very hard, which is coming up with universal information and knowledge classifications for the entire body of collective human (scientific, technological and general) knowledge.

Several fields of science have classification codes (e.g. mathematics, physics and astronomy) and in library sciences we use a set of universal information classication codes.

The catch is going to be building the first categories, of which some already are out there, for the body of scientifc/technological knowledge, as I indicated in an earlier email, when at the same time we have to come up with basic structures for those fields of knowledge which lack "structure", in terms of information classification schemes.

Milton Ponson