Betreff: Linked Data and REST architectural style (was: This is REST)
Datum: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 17:53:51 -0000
Von: Julian Everett <Julian.Everett@bbc.com>
An: Simon Reinhardt <simon.reinhardt@koeln.de>,        Rest List <rest-discuss@yahoogroups.com>
Referenzen: <55c60e370903021409h6f20476fw2e80696ac319ec36@mail.gmail.com>	 <C0E0681F-6E67-4807-8DB0-262952DD3AAA@innoq.com>	 <55c60e370903021440s6ec8b31brd0f6f2a8d1e586e5@mail.gmail.com>	 <F34A1426-6D78-4028-963F-59FED327499A@innoq.com> <55c60e370903030611n207729cfxc825965af9308ae0@mail.gmail.com> <49AD538C.8000605@koeln.de>

The relevance of the REST architectural style to Linked Data and
OWL/SKOS/etc has been nagging away in the back of my mind for the last
few months.

The idea of defining (and even considering the maintenance overhead of)
an OWL snapshot of a knowledge domain and binding to it via restricted
vocabulary metadata fills me with fear. It seems fraught with all the
same contract versioning issues as WSDL, DCOM, etc. Knowledge and
meaning are continually evolving products of the dynamic social context
within which they exist, and that fact surely needs to be addressed in
any workable content binding approach...

In REST terms, concepts can obviously be modelled as URI-addressable
resources and published in different representation formats. For
example, the location concept "London, UK" can be modelled as a resource
with the address http://dbpedia.org/resource/London and then published
in representation formats including RDF, N3, KML, GeoRSS, etc. However I
am unsure how the self-describing message and HATEOS constraints
translate in this context? The best I can come up with is that the
DBpedia, Freebase, OpenCyc ontologies should be viewed as the knowledge
representation equivalents of standard MIME types (or metamedia types?),
and that hypermedia should be used for runtime binding to the immediate
sibling nodes of a concept within those standard ontologies (thereby
avoiding the versioned contract binding nightmare). Any approach like
that would make me feel a lot more comfortable that just tagging stuff
with DBpedia URIs, which seems to violate a whole raft of basic
architectural principles e.g. encapsulation and separate of
interface/implementation.

To my (clearly limited) mind, these seem like really important questions
and I don't think they are receiving enough consideration in linked
data/semantic web circles at present?

regards

Julian