Re: Naming convention for deeply structured classes and subclasses

KJ:
"The problem I'm having now is how to name my classes and subclasses.  My structure is 5 levels deep where level 1 is the root class and level 5 is the individual (or instance). Naming classes and instances after level 1 is perplexing."

Kevin raised the problem touching the fundamentals of URIs schema. It is a bit alerting that such a hot topic was noticed only by Peter.

There is a golden rule is good to follow here: "Nothing meaningful in the semantic web, what is not studied in the natural language semantics."

Your question is all about compound names, which consist of several words combined to form a single lexical expression of subclasses and subtypes. There is a strict semantic rule of dividing names (nouns) into subordinate classes and kinds by modifying nouns. Here is the relevant passage from my article [1] analyzing how the machine-readable classificatory compound names of arbitrary length are constructed:

"The more nouns attached to the head word, the narrower its meaning; typically the number of modifying nouns exhaustively specifying any name amounts to five or six words, including the determiner. Formally, the substantive name compounds can be described as an ordered set of nouns, where the sequence and the stress pattern make all the difference, and the possible cardinal number of elements corresponds to the range mentioned. Some examples are as follows: the ontology knowledge database management system, the first-order predicate calculus system, the semantic web reference ontology, the World Wide Web agent markup language.

While decoding the meaning of the last compound, the brainy machine should be able to infer, albeit mechanically and to limited extent, that 'a markup language' is a subclass of 'language', 'agent' indicates the purpose of the language, and that 'World Wide Web' tells it the place of origin or location of the language."

Bottom line

 Any "hot" URIs includes a meaningfully ordered sequence of names signifying a resource on the Internet or in the real world.  Any URIs name is a subclass of a NL name, and as any words it's both a sign and symbol, pointing to and standing for something.

So the long classification is done according the scheme "noun specifying another noun", like below:

((subsubclass)(subclass(class)): audio multimedia desktop software.

As part of URI's name or computer directory (folder, catalog) name, it will be written as a root hierarchy: software/desktop/multimedia/audio/...

Azamat Abdoullaev

http://standardontology.org

1. How To Represent the World: Ontology-Controlled Natural Languages, IGI Global, 2008.

PS: I am surprised with your taxonomy of software. It is often divided as:

system software (operating systems, servers, utilities);

programming software (compilers, interpreters, text editors);

application software (scientific, industrial, business, game, telecommunications, educational, medical, etc.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_software