rdf:firts and rdf:rest as functional property

From: Reto Bachmann-Gmür <reto.bachmann@trialox.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 12:27:55 +0100
To: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
>From the description of RDF collections in the primer I would consider
rdf:first and rdf:rest as functional properties. However,

http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-schema/#ch_list says:

> Note: RDFS does not require that there be only one first element of a
> list-like structure, or even that a list-like structure have a first
> element.

I understand that RDFS doesn't have the notion of functional properties,
but it could nevertheless be specified specifically for rdf:first and
rdf:rest.

Especially since RDFS also states that:

> A triple of the form:
>
> L rdf:rest rdf:nil
>
> states that L is an instance of rdf:List that has one item; that item
> can be indicated using the rdf:first property

I'm not sure if this means that the last element has exactly or at least
one item. In any case to me this seems to be a rather weird
special-casing of the last rdf:List in a structure.

My questions:
- Are there useful usages where an rdf:list has several distinct
rdf:first and rdf:rest value?
- Is it just not written that rdf:first and rdf:rest are functional
(maybe due to some spec layering reasons) or is false to consider
rdf:first and rdf:next as functional?

Cheers,
reto