Re: live meaning and dead languages

See below ...

Richard Cyganiak wrote:

> On 8 Feb 2009, at 18:11, rick wrote:
>> As I have written before, the model theory on which the semantic web
>> is based is defined in Alfred Tarski's Semantic Conception of Truth.
>
> Rick, that's overstating the role of model theory on the Semantic Web.

The statement above makes no reference to the ROLE of the model theory
on the semantic web. But I'm glad you raised the issue. This statement
asserts the model theory on which the RDF semantics are based. And the
astute critic of the above would actually claim that I have understated
the model theory by not citing Kripke and possible worlds.

> The formal semantics of RDF, as defined in [1], are based on model theory.

Yes, that's my assertion, too. Did you have something more specific to
say about which model theory? Possibly LBase?

> But a lot of the deployed usage of RDF considers it simply as a
> distributed graph data model, and ignores (or even violates) the model
> theoretic semantics.

So this statement about the ROLE of model theory raises two important
questions:

1. If one is ignorant of model theory, does that invalidate model theory?

2. If one violates the model theoretic semantics of the semantic web, is
the deployed usage part of the semantic web?

In either case I think there answer is no.

First, consider music theory as an analogy. If I play two notes B and F
simultaneously on my guitar that form a harmony called a tritone, but I
am ignorant of the music theory of tritones, are these two notes any
less a tritone? I believe my ignorance does nothing to invalidate music
theory.

Second, the RDF semantics is a W3C recommendation which I understand is
a normative document. In addition, the LBase Working Group Note defines
LBase as the model theory of all semantic web languages. By definition,
any language whose model theory is not LBase is not a semantic web language.

Would you suggest the recommendation and note be deprecated to suit the
convenience of usage?

Again, my claim is that some arm chair philosophizin' would save the
semantic web community some time. I'm not alone in this opinion, but I
suggest that's a decision made by each individual that best suits their
interests and abilities.

> Various non-RDF technologies, such as Topic Maps or microformats are
> often lumped under the Semantic Web umbrella as well.

So is your claim that RDF technologies and non-RDF technologies that
violate the RDF semantics are part of the semantic web? What then are
the criteria for a semantic web technology? And how many other
technologies are semantic web technologies?

> So, only a particular part of the Semantic Web technology portfolio is
> based on model theory. I agree, however, that it's the part that can
> benefit most from armchair philosophizing.

As above, I suspect there's some good debate in drawing the boundary
around what's in this semantic web technology portfolio. Once the
boundary's drawn and there's agreement on questions 1 and 2 above, let
the philosophizin' begin.