Re: Extending RDFS, property-classes

On 9 Feb 2009, at 23:14, Richard Newman wrote:
> Your proposed ontology, IMO, has somewhat limited utility. It does
> allow generalization of an inference rule to generate both sets of
> annotations from one or the other, but that doesn't solve the
> fundamental missing abstraction. It would seem somewhat ridiculous
> to me to have every ontology include both reified and direct
> forms... for what end? Surely the reified form does everything the
> direct form does?

Perhaps not every vocabulary needs both reified and direct forms for
everything. Vocabularies are typically designed at a certain
“granularity”, and if one vocabulary doesn't provide the level of
detail that your application needs, then you will have to use another
one.

I see Jiri's proposal as a potential technique for mapping between
those “high-detail” and “low-detail” vocabularies. At the moment, we'd
have to use rules for that, because neither RDFS nor OWL can express
that sort of mapping.

Best,
Richard