Re: RDF vocabulary scope guidelines, promoting properties to classes - property identifiers

From: Richard Newman <rnewman@twinql.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 16:47:00 -0800
Cc: Semantic Web at W3C <semantic-web@w3.org>
To: Jiri Prochazka <ojirio@gmail.com>

I should add something that I realize I did not cover:

> However, we cannot do that in RDF as standardized. As a result,
> hundreds of domain ontologies are doomed to do exactly what the tag
> ontology does: reify a domain object and place annotations on it.

Individual ontologies can reduce some duplication by 'lifting' some
aspects: for example, the Tagging and Knowing classes in this
discussion could both be subclasses of Event (the former likely being
instantaneous, the latter having a duration). Event would be the
domain of a "began" property, thus taking care of both f:beganKnowing
and tag:taggedOn.

This saves some duplication, but doesn't avoid the fact that almost
every relationship would benefit in some way from the ability to be
annotated: RDF still imposes the need to reify simple assertions like
knowing and tagging.

2 more...

-R