Re: [foaf-dev] FOAF sites offline during cleanup

From: Toby A Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 12:50:38 +0100
Cc: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, Hugh Glaser <hg@ecs.soton.ac.uk>, foaf-dev Friend of a <foaf-dev@lists.foaf-project.org>, Peter Krantz <peter.krantz@gmail.com>, "foaf-protocols@lists.foaf-project.org" <foaf-protocols@lists.foaf-project.org>, Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>, "paola.dimaio@gmail.com" <paola.dimaio@gmail.com>, Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.manchester.ac.uk>, Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>
To: Ian Davis <iand@internetalchemy.org>
On 27 Apr 2009, at 09:18, Ian Davis wrote:

> With the lessening emphasis on RDF/XML, shouldn't we be looking at
> signing the triples. I seem to recall a paper by Jeremy Carroll
> that discussed this. Also, now many of us are focussed on bnode-
> free linked data the problems of signing are much easier: serialise
> as ntriples, sort and sign the result.

The URI has already been posted, but to summarise, Jeremy's technique
is more or less the one outlined above: serialise as N-Triples, sort
and sign. Graphs do not *need* to be BNode free for this to work.
Some (not all) graphs containing BNodes can still be signed this way
by assigning canonical names to the BNodes. Jeremy's paper outlines
how this can be done.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>