"Real OWL" on the Web

From: Mark Wallace <mwallace@3SigmaResearch.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 08:41:49 -0400
To: Semantic Web at W3C <semantic-web@w3.org>
Hi all,

In my experience (it may be too limited) I see a lot of "real RDF" on
the web, especially in things like FOAF, and Dbpedia.  But I am not
aware of much "real OWL" on the web, and by this I mean OWL-DL
ontologies and knowledge bases, embedded in web pages, and systems that
reason over such information.   Now I know many folks are hosting
ontologies at HTTP URLs.  This is not what I am talking about.  I am
thinking more of OWL-DL statements out there like FOAF is now, and
systems that crawl (?) and reason over the combined knowledge.

Are there some examples of this that someone can point me to?

(Also, I ask grace in advance for the term "real OWL"... I know OWL is
already "real", and I do much of my work with it... I am not knocking
OWL... I'm just wondering if it is being used in ways similar to RDF to
create a distributed web of information, or if it is being used more
like I currently use it: to create and reason over local knowledge
bases, be they file or http hosted.)

Thanks,
 -Mark

--