Re: web to semantic web : an automated approach

On Sunday 19 October 2008 21:08:10 ravinder thakur wrote:
> I think one of the _wrong_
> assumption in semantic web community is that content creators will be
> creating a semantic data which I think is too much for the asking from
> even more technically sound part of web community let along whole of the
> web community. It hasn't happened over last so many years and I don't
> see it happening in the near future.

This is indeed an essential point in the development of the Semantic Web. I'm
mostly in the "it'll happen" camp with regards to people creating semantic
content. There are two main sources, one is that they say that 70% of the
data on the web is allready in some structured form, thus what's needed is to
clarify what that structure means.

The other thing is what is often called "Mass Intelligence". Geonames.org is
an excellent example of an application that let people produce meaningful
data, and I think that could be extended to many more domains.

I personally would prefer Mass Intelligence, i.e. the real intelligence of
many people, over Artificial Intelligence (when it tries to do things humans
are better at), as I fear that the Semantic Web would inherit the perceived
and/or real weaknesses of AI if AI was dominant.

That's not to say that an automated approach isn't useful, I think it is, but
I see it as something that should be applied with care where it makes sense.
I also have colleagues who would agree with you that it is the most
interesting thing to do right now.

> I am
> pretty sure there will be many other good options available that might
> be unknown to me.

I think Cypher, which had a 1.9 release announced here a couple of days ago
would be of great interest to you: http://www.monrai.com/products/cypher/

Also, I think IBM's SUKI http://www.research.ibm.com/UIMA/SUKI/ might be of
interest.

Kind regards

Kjetil Kjernsmo
--
Senior Knowledge Engineer
Mobile: +47 986 48 234

|  SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE  |

Computas AS  PO Box 482, N-1327 Lysaker | Phone:+47 6783 1000 | Fax:+47 6783
1001