Re: reusing vocabularies / mapping withowl:equivalentClass

Thanks, using rdfs:subClassOf instead of owl:equivalentClass is a good point
- fits very good with dc:title and hrecipe-title, since the former is the
broader and more established term.. In other cases though I wouldn't
necessarily assume that one concept is a sublass of another concept but that
they are just equivalent. Which leads to using different properties for a
similar purpose ("if you're interested in this, you might also be interested
in that"). Or maybe owl:sameAs? The semantic web is always good for
surprises where you first thought: "Ah, that one is easy!"...

Cheers,
Thomas

On 15.10.08 08:07, "Bernhard Schandl" <bernhard.schandl@univie.ac.at> wrote:

> Hi Knud,
>
>>> That way a query for everything with a 'title' could automagically
>>> sparql
>>> the clearinghouse for every owl:equivalentClass of 'title' and add
>>> those to
>>> the original query. That's a scalable solution and it doesn't need
>>> much
>>> (actually none if I'm not mistaken) inferencing power either.
>>
>> That's an interesting idea. It would be interesting to find how this
>> compares performance-wise to "ordinary" inferencing.
>
> We did this regularly in several applications, however we were not
> using owl:equivalentClass but rdfs:subClassOf and rdfs:subPropertyOf;
> and we applied this not only to labels but also to class instances:
>
> SELECT ?r ?l
> WHERE
> {
>     ?r rdf:type ?t .
>     ?t rdfs:subClassOf my:Something .
>     ?r ?p ?l .
>     ?p rdfs:subPropertyOf rdfs:label .
> }
>
> This of course requires the full closure of subClassOf and
> subPropertyOf relationships to be computed (but this can usually be
> done once and then is persisted). We found this performs quite well in
> comparison to fully fledged inferencing; however it has the drawback
> that reasoning is encoded into applications, which one might find not
> a nice solution.
>
> Best regards,
> Bernhard

.