Re: [semanticweb] Purl.org offline?

On Tue Oct 14, 2008 at 12:39:54AM +0100, Giovanni Tummarello wrote:

> Hi Martin, all, yes,  it is a service that was planned,
>
> unfortunately the cache system we have is based on HBase, which is
> still in a very early stage and badly crashed on us recently. We're in
> the process of updating, restoring it etc.
> It will take some time but it is coming, will announce it when ready.
> (probably together with a simple library for transparent fallover)
>
> So a semantic web client could simply do an HTTP on the URL and if
> fails switch back to Sindice or whoever else wants to do that.
>
> I agree this service is badly needed. I dont think Semantic Web can be
> that interesting if a client doesnt mash or chains together several
> resources automatically, with the consequent dramatic chances of
> failure, thus the need for one or more backup servers.. (which however

i think its fundamental enough a need to warrant architectural consideration

i mean on the level of HTTP.

not saying HTTP should go away. probably some bblfish way of doing it without inventing a new protocol (heck, Bittorrent still uses HTTP for parts)

we need alternatives to the Google "we are your backup server" system