Re: Domain and range are useful Re: DBpedia 3.2 release, including DBpedia Ontology and RDF links to Freebase

Pierre-Antoine Champin wrote:
> Dan Brickley a écrit :
>> I do recommend against using RDFS/OWL to express application/dataset
>> constraints, while recognising that there's a real need for recording
>> them in machine-friendly form. In the Dublin Core world, this topic is
>> often discussed in terms of "application profiles", meaning that we want
>> to say things about likely and expected data patterns, rather than doing
>> what RDFS/OWL does and merely offering machine dictionary definitions of
>> terms.
>
> Why would you recommend against it?
>
> Would not a good practice be to simply separate in two RDF graphs
> - "intensional" axioms, those representing the meaning of the terms
>   and that should be assumed by people reusing the vocabulary
> - "extensional" axioms, those representing properties/constraints of
>   the dataset, that should be used to check its
>   consistency/completeness.
>
> Depending on their need, people would only import the first graph, or
> both of them...

I guess primarily because it is clearer for everyone if 'domain' and
'range' have their conventional meaning, rather than sometimes meaning
what the W3C groups intended, and sometimes meaning something quite
different. Since RDF is designed to mix and to flow, keeping the
dataset-oriented usages separate is likely to be quite hard.

Also I expect dataset-checking applications to have different
requirements (eg. around optionals, co-occurance constraints, datatype
values) that simply don't map tidily into RDFS/OWL constructs. Building
on SPARQL there has some promise I think - eg see
http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/schemarama/
http://swordfish.rdfweb.org/discovery/2001/01/schemarama/

On the dataset-characterisation front, there are also efforts like
http://semwiq.faw.uni-linz.ac.at/node/9 that are worth exploring, also
http://esw.w3.org/topic/SparqlEndpointDescription2 ... which are
connected with scenarios around distributed SPARQL query. Again, I don't
see RDFS/OWL's property-description constructs as being particularly
attuned to this problem.

cheers,

Dan

--