mailman and cross-service email whitelists

On 28 Mar 2008, at 16:18, Sandro Hawke wrote:

> [dropping foaf-dev since (a) I'm not on it so I can't post to it, and
> (b) I think it's against the list policies to cross post
> non-announcements.  Shame on all of us for doing it so far.]

The main reason is spam-control, sadly. It was out of hand before we
switched over from my rdfweb-dev list to the successor, foaf-dev,
which Edd Dumbill kindly hosts. I don't know much about his setup
except that it seems a pretty much 'out of the box' installation of
Mailman.

Re list policies for non-announcements, i'm happy seeing interesting/
relevant threads cross both lists. This recent 'triples last for ever'
theme is driving me nuts, but that's a personal not a list policy
issue ;)

W3C and other large mailing list hosts often have posting policy
mechanisms that take advantage of their size; if you're "in the
system", then your posts can often go through, even if you're not an
active subscriber to the list.

One thought I have here, that is perhaps student-project sized (anyone
at MIT near W3C perhaps?) ... could we get mailman patched so that it
could take as input a list of hashed email addresses from other list
hosting sites. It should probably involve an extra argument to the
hash to make attempts to reverse-engineer the address list a bit more
expensive. Getting the RSS/Atom patch integrated and having foaf:Group
info exported as an option would also be cool, but I don't know much
about how the mailman project works, ie. what would be socially rather
than technically feasible.

This is a variant on the old http://www.w3.org/2001/12/rubyrdf/util/foafwhite/intro.html
  idea. It would be great if semweb-related email lists elsewhere (at
least using such a patched mailman) could allow cross-posts from
members of semweb lists on other sites. And not necessarily limited to
semweb of course, but ... gotta start sometime.

In the meantime, apologies for the lack of cross-posting. The foaf-dev
archives are at http://lists.foaf-project.org/pipermail/foaf-dev/ with