Re: semantic web tools in a shared hosting environment

From: Gregory Williams <greg@evilfunhouse.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 15:33:45 -0400
Cc: semantic-web@w3.org
To: "Johnson, Matthew C. (LNG-ALB)" <Matthew.C.Johnson@lexisnexis.com>
On Mar 13, 2008, at 9:07 PM, Johnson, Matthew C. (LNG-ALB) wrote:

> 	• What Perl RDF/RDFS tools are up-to-date?  Do any support SPARQL?
> And is the installation [in a shared environment] straightforward?

My RDF::Query module (available on CPAN[1]) supports SPARQL queries
over models provided by RDF::Core, RDF::Redland, and RDF::Trine. The
installation should be straightforward but there are some dependencies
that might be tricky to install if you can't compile native code.

> 	• For a small-scale application, is a true “triple store” database
> actually necessary?  Would it be simpler (especially for learning)
> to simply use flat files?  If so, this would potentially simplify my
> configuration work.

RDF::Query can use SQLite or non-relational data stores including in-
memory and BerkeleyDB. Any of these could pull from a flat file each
time your program runs, but performance might be an issue depending on
your data and use cases.

[1] http://search.cpan.org/dist/RDF-Query/

thanks,
gregory williams