Re: semantic web tools in a shared hosting environment

From: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 13:59:46 +0100
To: "Johnson, Matthew C. (LNG-ALB)" <Matthew.C.Johnson@lexisnexis.com>
Cc: "Richard Newman" <rnewman@twinql.com>, semantic-web@w3.org

fyi, right now Talis Platform accounts are free on the community
('n-squared'), and though longer term it's likely that some charging
scheme will come in for commercial apps, use for community and/or
research kind of projects will be free indefinitely.

There are plans to gradually open-source the software used in the
Platform (much of it is derived from os anyway), though it's low
priority. The product is the services & associated infrastructure, not
the software. What's exposed is very much inclined towards openness
anyhow, being heavily standards-based (HTTP, RDF, SPARQL etc).
Flipping over to a different storage system which uses the same
standards should be straightforward.

Even if you are likely to use your own store later, I'd personally
recommend having a play with the Platform stores - I've found them
handy in my own stuff for rapid prototyping (and haven't yet seen any
need to opt for a different backend, though admittedly prototype tends
to be as far as I ever get with my own stuff...).

While Talis is developing apps internally on the Platform  (e.g.
Engage [1]), it's very advantageous for us to draw on outside
expertise to help determine future requirements & design - hence the
community programme.

Anyhow, if you want an account, no strings attached, let me know.

Cheers,
Danny.

[1] http://www.talis.com/engage/

--