Re: How do you deprecate URIs? Re: OWL-DL and linked data

I always think that deprecating is such a negative thing; I much prefer to
think of it as facilitating the use of what you want.

Our structure for doing coreference (which this is), is to lift the
knowledge out of the substantive KB, so it can be used more selectively,
(which is particularly important if you use owl:sameAs).
We call this a CRS (Consistent Reference Service), and when given a URI such
as <http://downlode.org/rdf/iso-639/languages#da> it might return some RDF
such as:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<rdf:RDF
    xmlns:coref="http://www.aktors.org/ontology/coref#"

  <coref:Bundle rdf:about="http://www.lingvoj.org/lang/crs/bundle-39298">
    <coref:duplicate rdf:resource="http://www.lingvoj.org/lang/da" />
    <coref:duplicate rdf:resource="
http://downlode.org/rdf/iso-639/languages#da" />
    <coref:insertedOn>2008-02-12 12:29:02</coref:insertedOn>
    <coref:hasCanon rdf:resource="http://www.lingvoj.org/lang/da"/>
  </coref:Bundle>
</rdf:RDF>

We then fix it so that the RDF obtained from
<http://www.lingvoj.org/lang/da> has a link to this CRS, so that
applications can find coreferees if they want, and also choose the "better"
of the moment (the Canon) if they wish.
Ideally, downlode URIs will also refer to this CRS (or a similar one of its
own), so that applications that resolve the "worse" URI can naturally be led
to use the "better" one.

So with this structure, applications can use whatever URI they like, while
being able to find out what is the "better" URI.

Hugh