Re: College Senior Project To Make A Web Search Project

First off, thank you very much for your detailed reply. You have given me a
lot to think about.

My main problem at the moment is trying to figure out how to scale down my
project so that
it can be relatively completed within a semester (from now to end of April).
(to repeat myself from
another post)-So I am trying to just focus on an easy-to-use, intelligent
search for looking up classes
and a "current schedule" display so students can see how their various
classes fit together as they
go along.

Hugh Glaser wrote:

>> What things would you recommend to look into to create this project?
>
> One way to view this is that you will need a Data/Knowledge Base to keep
> the
> information you gather.
> You might have chosen SQL, but instead you are thinking of using this
> exciting new technology of RDF and triplestores.
> To do this, you will need a triplestore implementation; you can find out
> about these at
> http://esw.w3.org/topic/SemanticWebTools#head-805c63479c854babe4657d5184de60
> 5910f6d3e2
> along with other stuff on implementation.
> To make it simple, you can just think of what you are doing as replacing
> the
> querying of an SQL DB using SQL by the querying of an RDF store (the
> triplestore) using SPARQL (the query language), see for example
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-rdf-sparql-query-20041012/

---I think my professor/mentor's hopes is that I could somehow use the
university's database
of class information. Although he has warn me that it might not be in the
most suitable format.
So perhaps if I have to work on reorganizing the database anyway, I could
change it into an RDF
store? I am afraid that I might be still confusing the meaning of these new
terms, so bear with me.
Which I might do Jena?

Hugh Glaser wrote:

> But to be a good citizen of the Semantic Web, you have not really finished
> yet.
> What you need to do is make sure that others can access your hard-won
> knowledge in a convenient way. To do this, you need to make the SPARQL
> endpoint available to the web. You also need to conform to the modern
> linked
> data conventions.
> You can find out all about this at http://esw.w3.org/topic/LinkedData

# A global naming scheme (URIs);
# A standard syntax for describing data (RDF);
# A standard means of describing the properties of that data (rdf-schema);
# A standard means of describing relationships between data items
(ontologies);

so that is an easy break-down of semantic web ideas that I found on HP's
site. If I took the time
creating these

(would all be needed -- I am wondering if there is any hybrid approach
between regular site design and database storage to the new semantic web
ideas, my professor keeps
suggesting tagging the data on the unviersity's database to create defined
terms to search for...)

with Jena (and other tools?) -does it make sense that I could integrate this
into
a more intelligent/efficient search? Right now I am overwhelmed trying to
figure out how to create
an implementation project and present an interesting area of research for my
weekly senior seminars.

So any other information, links, or suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks again for all the information you gave to consider.

Lora